Advertising Bonus 2022: Also this year, the Supports Decree Bis confirmed the measure aimed at boosting the recovery of the advertising market after the crisis caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. In particular, the measure aims to come to the rescue of billboard advertising facility owners.
Advertising bonus 2022: what is it?
The Advertising Bonus 2022 is a tax credit in favor of owners of advertising installations for billboards and commercial advertising installations.
This credit, equal to 50 percent of the value of investments made in advertising, was established by the Supports Bis Decree and is regularized by Revenue Agency Order No. 295258 of October 29, 2021 and by Circular no. 1 of January 7, 2022. The bonus is granted within a spending limit of 20 million euros, established to help the advertising market recover from the economic difficulties following the pandemic.
Under the Bonus, the following types of facilities are covered:
- Installations intended for the posting of posters of a commercial nature
- Other similar advertising installations of a commercial nature
- Light panels or panels emitting image projections used for advertising purposes (but other than business signs)
How does it work?
The tax credit is allocated In proportion to the amount owed by the indicated beneficiaries, in the year 2021, by way of heritage fee of concession, authorization or advertising display for broadcasting advertising messages for a period not exceeding 6 months (see Article 1, Paragraphs 816 et seq., Law No. 160 of December 27, 2019).
The uni asset fee, was introduced as of January 1, 2021 in favor of local governments, replacing other taxes, such as the tax and fee for the occupation of public space and areas. The fee shall be paid at the same time as the issuance of the concession or authorization to occupy and/or broadcast advertising messages.
Advertising bonus 2022: how to calculate it
The Internal Revenue Service explains that the tax credit is granted in proportion to the fee paid in the year 2021 for an amount corresponding to the fee paid for no more than 6 months.
In case of payment for a period longer than 6 months, the fee should, therefore, be recalculated according to the following scheme:
- In the case of a fee paid for a period of less than 6 months in the year 2021: the taxpayer will consider the full amount paid;
- In the case of fees paid for a period of more than 6 months of the year 2021: the taxpayer will have to divide the amount equal to the fee paid by the months of payment and multiply the result obtained by 6 (e.g., if the user has paid the fee for 9 months, he/she will have to divide the amount by 9 and multiply it by 6);
- in case of a fee paid for the entire 2021: the user must divide the fee paid by 12 and then multiply it by 6.
The maximum amount of the tax credit that can be used is equal to the amount paid in respect of the year 2021 as a fee multiplied by the percentage that will be made known by an order of the Director of the Internal Revenue Service No later than March 21, 2022: in fact, the fees for concession permit or advertising display fees vary from city to city and in different provinces or metropolitan areas.
The tax credit will then be usable by beneficiaries starting from the working day after the publication of this measure, exclusively through AdE’s online services.
How to apply for the Bonus?
The notice to apply for the Advertising Bonus 2022 must be submitted to the Internal Revenue Service electronically between February 10 and March 10, 2022.
The communication can be submitted:
- Directly from the beneficiary, whereby, in the documentation, the user indicates the tax code of the person receiving the tax credit
- By a person in charge ofthe transmission of declarations of the Decree of the President of the Republic of July 22, 1998. No. 322, through the telematic channels of the Internal Revenue Service.
To apply, the grantee or its signatory representative is also required to declare that:
- The representative or beneficiary is registered in the lists of suppliers, service providers and executors of works not subject to mafia infiltration attempt (Law No. 190 of November 6, 2012);
- The tax codes of all persons subject to anti-mafia verification (DL No. 159 of 2001).
Following the communication, the AdE issues a receipt of acceptance, or rejection following formal checks of the data contained therein.
The transmission procedure is available in the section of the Internal Revenue Service’s restricted area, “Services for ” > “Communicate,” which can be accessed through the Public Digital Identity System (SPID), National Services Card (CNS) or Electronic Identity Card (CIE).
To help users with the submission of the application, the Internal Revenue Service has made available on its portal, the template with instructions for its completion, which can be viewed at the following link.
Advertising bonus 2022: what if I then want to give it up?
If, for any reason, you wish to waive the 2022 Publicity Bonus, you may submit a waiver using the same form you used to fill out the application, ticking the appropriate box and entering only the fields related to the beneficiary’s or petitioner’s tax identification number, if any.
The waiver always covers the amount of the tax credit in full and can be submitted in the same time frame in which the application is allowed to be submitted, that is, from February 10 to March 10, 2022.